Thursday, July 28, 2011

Classic Quiche Lorraine

Originally claimed by Alsace-Lorraine, this cheese-custard classic is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

I often find myself whipping up a quiche for dinner when I need to go grocery shopping and my frig contains little more than eggs. My favorite quiche recipe comes from one of the vintage cookbooks I inherited, Betty Crocker's PIE AND PASTRY COOKBOOK.

Quiche Lorraine
From the 1968 Betty Crocker's PIE AND PASTRY COOKBOOK


1 9 inch pie crust. *(if you don't want to make your own, use Marie Callender's frozen pie crust brand)
12 slices bacon, crisply fried and crumbled
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/3 cup minced onion
4 eggs
2 cups heavy cream or light cream (whatever you prefer)
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Heat over to 425 degrees. Prepare pie crust or unwrap frozen crust :-) Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion in uncooked pie crust bottom. With a hand mixer, blend remaining ingredients, pour over bacon mixture. Bake for 15 minutes and then reduce over temp to 300 degrees. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
This is wonderful served with steamed veggies and fresh fruit.

*I thought you might find humor in knowing that I took this photo on the hood of my car since I was loosing daylight.  My neighbors probably think I'm a total loon! :-)

Enjoy!

~The Lemonista

2 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful! I printed this recipe out as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog you have here thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete