Kristi's Ham & Bean Soup
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups diced ham
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
4 cups ham stock (recipe to follow) or chicken broth
2 cans great northern beans, not drained
4 Tablespoons tomato sauce
*Here's a link to a good ham stock recipe. I do half water and half chicken broth to boil the ham bone, but otherwise I follow this recipe to make my ham stock.
- Make ham stock or if using only chicken broth, skip this step.
- Heat oil in large soup pot. Add carrots, onion, celery and onion. Saute 4 minutes. Add ham and saute 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add 3 cups of stock. Bring to a low boil for 10 minutes. Stir one or two times.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine 1 can of beans and tomato sauce. Process until smooth. Add remaining 1 cup of stock to smooth mixture.
- Add to pot. Add remaining can of beans. Bring to a low boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve :-)