Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Updating A Vintage French Sofa

I've always loved old French Provincial sofas. My parents have had a lovely French Provincial sofa since I was born and I knew that one day, when I had a home with a beautiful living room, I'd have one too.

I think when people picture French Provincial furniture, fancy and impractical comes to mind. However, with the introduction of Shabby Chic by Rachel Ashwell,  Rustic Elegance by The Willows French Country Cottage by Courtney, and the like, these vintage furniture pieces can be updated to be practical and beautifully casual.

I asked the very talented ladies at The Willows in Phoenix, AZ to find me one of these vintage French sofas and work their magic to give it new life. Boy, did they ever deliver!
Just check out this fabulousness~

Before:


After:

The upholstery was recovered in a taupe linen burlap fabric.

Before:


After:

The wood was refinished in Annie Sloan chalk paint.

I'm so thrilled with this sofa, I can hardly stand it! And the great thing about having a vintage sofa re-done verses buying a new one--the vintage sofas are built like iron!

Total LOVE.


I really love this room. It makes me sigh to think of what it will look like one day when the rest of the decorating layers get completed.

~The Lemonista

Tip Junkie
Linked to Feathered Nest Friday
Linked to Watcha Work-up Wednesday

11 comments:

  1. The Annie Sloan chalk paint really made a difference in the sofa! Paired with the linen upholstery, this piece is absolutely stunning!

    Saw you on Feathered Nest Friday...
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I am in love with this sofa! You must be so pleased with it. The upholstery is so perfect, the colour combo with the new wood legs...Yummm. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popping over from Feathered Nest Friday.
    Your sofa is gorgeous. love the ASCP color and the upholstery is superb. you really have a great piece in your home.
    rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely gorgeous beyond belief! You'd never guess it was the same furniture - and I think your room is beautiful just the way it is.
    Most definitely your newest follower - would love to have you come by and follow back when you have the time!
    hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful~ Love how it turned out. Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in Phoenix and I would almost swear I saw that same sofa at an estate sale in Scottsdale. My husband wouldn't go for it. I will have to show him your after so he can see how great it turned out!.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought this publish used to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I’m impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Extremely useful info particularly the final section 🙂 I take care of such info a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was looking for this certain info for a long time. Thanks and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete