Christmas Tree Bento Lunch
- The tree is made from steamed broccoli florets. I steam them just so they are not hard, but not until mushy. Run them under cold water to stop the cooking and retain the fresh green color. I formed the florets in a triangle shape and wrapped with leaf lettuce. The leaf lettuce keeps the broccoli seperate so it does not touch or flavor the other food.
- The tiny colorful ornaments are royal icing decorations from Fancy Flours.
- The star is cut from a carrot and decorated with a star food pick.
- The fruit salad on either side is pineapple chunks and red grapes.
- The tree trunk is a stack of Wheat Thin crackers.
- The gifts are Colby jack cheese squares decorated with food picks and two royal icing presents from Fancy Flours. You get two of each in this assortment, so I used my two presents today.
Now for an easy homemade broccoli cheese soup that is so tasty!
You will need:
In a stockpot melt butter and cook onion, garlic and sherry until softened.
Add frozen broccoli and chicken broth. Simmer until tender (about 10 min).
Reduce heat and stir in cheese cubes until melted.
Dissolve cornstarch in warm water.
Add Cornstarch/water mixture and cream.
Stirring until thick.
Season with salt and pepper. (taste to see if you want to add any more).
Oh, and don't forget that this soup would be great served in a bread bowl!
This post will show you how~
Broccoli Cheese Soup
1/2 cup butter
1 white onion chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 16oz package frozen broccoli
1 cup whole cream or half & half
16 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed (Velveeta Light will also work).
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 cup warm water
salt & pepper to taste.
In a stockpot melt butter and cook onion, garlic and sherry until softened. Add frozen broccoli and chicken broth. Simmer until tender (about 10 min.). Reduce heat and stir in cheese cubes until melted. In a separate bowl, dissolve cornstarch in warm water. Add Cornstarch/water mixture and cream, stirring until thick. Season with salt & pepper to taste and serve.