Thursday, May 3, 2012

Grilled Chicken & Oranges w/ Prickly Pear Cactus Glaze


Okay folks, this post is gonna be on the fly. My hubby is having knee surgery today and Cinderella's got a million things on her list to knock out. As a busy stay at home momma, there were times I actually did feel like a servant girl squeezing in time to work on this recipe. Ha!  However, I'm so glad I stuck with it. Cuz this one turned out to be quick, easy and super DE~lish! It is also my entry for Bush''s Grillin' Beans Recipe Contest on The Pioneer Woman's blog. I figured in light of PW's recent visit to my turf, sunny Phoenix AZ, I'd feature a recipe with the succulent prickly pear cactus fruit of the Southwest. So here goes...
You will need:


Combine first 7 ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until combined.

How fantastic is the magenta color of prickly pear cactus! I need a top this color. Grin. My favorite brand of Prickly Pear Cactus jelly is Cheri's Prickly Pear Cactus Jelly.
Cheri's Prickly Pear Cactus Jelly - 8 oz - Cacti Jam - Southwest Desert Spread- Southwestern Flavor












Remove peel from orange and cut into thick slices. Brush orange slices with cactus glaze.
I'm using the same orange that I zested (hmmm, is that even a word?)










Place chicken breast in a zip lock bag and pound with a rolling pin until they are about half of their original thickness. (You may find this therapeutic) Sprinkle both sides of chicken breast with salt and pepper and brush with cactus glaze.








Heat grill to around 400 degrees. Grill chicken for two minutes with lid closed.
Flip chicken, re-applying glaze to both sizes with a grill brush. Add oranges to the grill and grill another 2 minutes with the lid closed. Flip chicken and oranges this time, re-applying glaze again to both sides. Close lid and grill two minutes more. Remove chicken and oranges to a platter and check chicken to make sure it is done.








Pour any remaining glaze into a small saucepan and bring to a quick, full boil. Drizzle over chicken and oranges.






Serve with Bush's Best Sweet Mesquite Grillin' Beans.
Grillin' Beans Sweet Mesquite
Mmmm, mmmm! The best bite is with a little sweet spicey glazed chicken, smokey beans, and tangy grilled orange piled on your fork.

Soooooooo good!  You're gonna love this one! And PW, hope this recipe brings back fond memories of your visit to my neck of the woods. Thank you for the fun contest.

Oh, and if you want to learn how to make a fabulous Prickly Pear Margarita, or just see what Prickly pear cactus fruit looks like, check out this post of mine. Winks.



Grilled Chicken & Oranges w/ Prickly Pear Cactus Glaze. 

8oz Prickly Pear Cactus jelly
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 jalapeno, finely chopped

Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 large navel orange

1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until combined.

2. Remove peel from orange and cut into thick slices. Brush orange slices with cactus glaze.

3. Place chicken breast in a zip lock bag and pound with a rolling pin until they are about half of their original thickness.  Sprinkle both sides of chicken breast with salt and pepper and brush with cactus glaze.

4. Heat grill to around 400 degrees. Grill chicken for two minutes with lid closed.
Flip chicken, re-applying glaze to both sizes with a grill brush.  Add oranges to the grill and grill another 2 minutes with the lid closed. Flip chicken and oranges this time, re-applying glaze again to both sides.  Close lid and grill two minutes more.  Remove chicken and oranges to a platter and check chicken to make sure it is done.

5. Pour any remaining glaze into a small saucepan and bring to a quick, full boil.  Drizzle over chicken and oranges.

Serve with Bush's Best Sweet Mesquite Grillin' Beans.

Enjoy!

~The Lemonista

1 comment:

  1. My daughter just recently brought back me a small jar of Cheri's prickly pear cactus jelly from AZ as a souvenir. I was thinking on the best way to celebrate with it. This morning over coffee with my wife I said I think I'll make some Tex-Mex grilled chicken and use the Jelly for a glaze. I pulled-up your recipe on the web. It sounds very similar as to what I was thinking. I'll be following your recipe; well, because you've been there and done that. The only difference is that I'll be making my mesquite smoked chili beans in my Dutch oven from scratch in my smoker the day before. I used to have a catering business and one of my best sellers was my Smokey Beans. Gonna do it soon; my wife is having knee replacement surgery next week, what a co-incidence. I want to make a dessert using the jelly too to go with it. Maybe Sopapillas drizzled with Cheri's? Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete