Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What Happens When Deviled Eggs Meet Guacamole?


Dawn's Deviled Eggs, of course!

A la Dr. Seuss, I'm servin' up green eggs & ham this Easter. *grin*
I've ordered my ham from Honey Baked Ham but I'll make the green eggs from my favorite Deviled Egg recipe.  This recipe is published in Suzanne Somers', Eat, Cheat, And Melt The Fat Away cookbook and it's delicious!  According to Suzanne, this recipe was created by Barry Manilow's wonderful cook named Dawn. Since many of us will have extra hard boiled eggs to use up after the weekend festivities, I figured this would be the perfect time to post this spin on a classic gem.

Dawn's Deviled Eggs

5 hard boiled eggs, halved lengthwise
1 tablespoon minced scallion, white and light green parts
1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and mined
1 whole mashed avocado
juice from 1 lime
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
red chili flakes for garnish (optional) *I use fresh cilantro leaves

Remove the yolks from the whites.  Set the whites aside. Mash the yolks in a bowl with a fork.  Add the mashed avocado, scallion, jalapeno, lime juice, mayonnaise, and salt.  Add more mayonnaise to reach desired consistency.  Mash with a fork until blended.  Using a teaspoon, carefully stuff whites with yolk mixture, mounding the tops.  For extra heat, garnish with red chili flakes. *Or I like to garnish with fresh cilantro. 

Enjoy!

~The Lemonista

1 comment: